Ganache Darn It!

Ganache Darn It!

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Caramel sauce to put on....anything!



It was a co-worker's birthday and the office decided we'd do an ice cream social to celebrate. It suddenly dawned on me that I have NEVER created a caramel sauce from scratch. I know everyone is obsessed with salted caramel anything right now, but sometimes I feel as though someone dropped the salt shaker into my dessert. So I went for a classic sauce by the very classic Ina Garten. While the internet is full of absolutely terrible recipes that are full of FAIL, Ina will never fail you. This recipe is simple and delicious and while it was great on ice cream, I'm thinking about using it in between layers of banana birthday cake, now we're talkin'!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup water
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions:

Mix the water and sugar in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until the sugar dissolves. Ina's directions say not to stir, so don't stir. Not stirring is very difficult, but just do what she says! Increase the heat to medium and boil uncovered until the sugar turns a warm chestnut brown (about 350 degrees F on a candy thermometer), about 5 to 7 minutes (this part took me more like 9 minutes, it may have to do with my stove), gently swirling the pan to stir the mixture (SWIRL, don't STIR). Don't get this on your skin, it will peel it right of! Watch the mixture very carefully at the end, as it will go from caramel to burnt and bitter very quickly. Turn off the heat and stand back to avoid splattering and slowly add the cream and vanilla. The cream will bubble violently and the caramel will form, be ready to stir at this point.

Simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until the caramel dissolves and the sauce is smooth, about 2 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature, at least 4 hours. It will thicken as it sits.

After some internet searching, I found that people recommended this be kept in the refrigerator for up to three weeks. I also rewarmed it in about 15 second intervals in the microwave in a mason jar. I'll let you know how it goes with the banana cake in a few weeks!

This is another great and basic recipe to keep on hand, you know...for when you absolutely NEED caramel sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment